Today, fill your cup of life with sunshine and laughter.
~Dodinsky


29 November 2006

THURSDAY THIRTEEN #4

Without music, my life would be flat and empty. For as long as I can remember, it has been central to my very sense of being. So here are thirteen songs that have special meaning for me, in no particular order. The diversity surprised even me ...

1. Barry was my study-buddy at university. I named my first dog after this song.

Mandy
By Barry Manilow
BestAudioCodes.com


2. My dad used to sing this to my mom.

If You Could Read My Mind
By Gordon Lightfoot
BestAudioCodes.com


3. I grew up in a fishing community. I am a proud Maritimer.

The Fisherman's Lament
By Great Big Sea
BestAudioCodes.com


4. The first song I ever heard by the great "poet-bard", it stuck with me through all my years at university.

Hallelujah
By Leonard Cohen
BestAudioCodes.com


5. The first piece I studied under the guidance of Richard Boulanger.

Sonata for Piano No. 8 'Pathetique' in C minor, Op. 13
By Beethoven
BestAudioCodes.com


6. My Gram used to sing this to me when we were small.

Grandma's Feather Bed
By John Denver
BestAudioCodes.com


7. Just my favorite Aerosmith song. No reason in particular.

Rag Doll
By Aerosmith
BestAudioCodes.com


8. The first song I ever heard by my Number One. I was hooked from that moment.

Into The Mystic
By Van Morrison
BestAudioCodes.com


9. My brother is a prog rock fanatic, and he used to sit with me and talk to me about developping a discerning ear, while we listened to this song.

Tempus Fugit
By Yes
BestAudioCodes.com


10. The contrast between the vocal styles of the two singers in this song gives me goosebumps.

Miserere (Live Version With John Miles)
By Andrea Bocelli
BestAudioCodes.com


11. My first serious love used to sing this to me. He was no Hendrix, though.

Little Wing
By Jimi Hendrix
BestAudioCodes.com


12. When I want to lose myself in the music, this is a good place to start. It was my introduction to the Blues.

Mannish Boy
By Muddy Waters
BestAudioCodes.com


13. My first slow dance with a boy.

Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'
By Journey
BestAudioCodes.com

12 comments:

TopChamp said...

This is a brilliant post - I love it! There's a proper mixture here and it's making me smile - nice to be so happy at 7.43am!

Mandy is a weird track for me. My boyfriend used to make up words and sing it all the time irritating me beyond belief. I then discovered that he had picked this idea up from the Simpsons. Homer sings it to Marge. This makes the irritation shift from the song to him for copying a cartoon.

So whilst initially I liked the track - I then hated it - then started to like it again.

Anonymous said...

**sigh** I'll have to go in search of these songs to listen to some of them - I can't play the tracks. But only for another week or so until I get my new computer.

Terrific list!

Julie said...

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful times thirteen! Esp. the G. Lightfoot song!

**runs off to peruse Vinny's tutorial on adding music to my blog**

Love ya Coco!!

Hugs!!!

Unknown said...

Of corse I can't hear any of these at work. LOL!

Some I know, some I don't.

BTW I moved my memes to blogger. I'm sure that would be easier for everyone. :)

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I have created another MONSTER... anothe MONSTER... first Anndi, now Coco... who's next??? JULIE????

great list

Anndi said...

I love Gordon.. I truly do.

Thanks Coco.. great songs..

TopChamp said...

Back again so I can use you as background music for my TT browsing!

Coco said...

Lol - wonder if it's wrong to enjoy your own blog so much. Y'all should've seen me doing the bump and grind to Ragdoll in the living room a minute ago ...

Amanda said...

oooooh Mandy..love it..i hate being called mandy, but if the right guy sang it to me i wouldnt care!

Twyla said...

Another proud Maritimer here! :-)
I love # 2, 3, & 8.

Angell said...

Great tunes Coco baby!!!! Gotta love Aerosmith - ANYTHING. :D

Unknown said...

I love Mandy too. You must have died when Taylor was singing it to Barry!

Slideshow