Today, fill your cup of life with sunshine and laughter.
~Dodinsky


06 December 2006

THURSDAY THIRTEEN #5

My son is the light of my life. Since early summer, it has just been the two of us, and I thought quality time together would be tight with the added responsibilities of being a single parent. I was totally wrong. I won't lie and say it has always been easy but somehow, we spend more time doing things together than ever before. So, as my Thursday Thirteen, as a sort of welcome home celebration, here's thirteen things Brennan and I do together.


1. volunteer at the SPCA (our Friday tradition - giving back)
2. do our "homework" (every night right after supper, we practice the alphabet, or numbers, do puzzles, or an art project)
3. sing in church choirs (he's very musical)
4. grocery shopping (what a joy this has ended up being with Mommy's Helper)
5. go bowling (the little turkey is better at it than I am)
6. make pancakes (been doing this so long, he doesn't even need me to help with the ingredients or the measuring)
7. go to church (reconnecting with our spiritual side)
8. volunteer at the Mobile Soup Kitchen (one of the best things we do all week - connecting to our community in a very special way)
9. play board games (it's amazing what this brings to our relationship)
10. go skating (just straight-up fun for both of us)
11. read (bet my friends wonder what takes so long at bedtime - big La-Z-Boy + sleepy boy + armful of books = closeness)
12. walk the dog (the whole family together)
13. make soup (Sunday afternoon tradition - "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--Of cabbages--and kings--And why the sea is boiling hot--And whether pigs have wings.")

HEAVEN IS IN YOUR MIND
(Winwood/Capaldi/Wood)
You ride on the swing in and out of the bars
Capturing moments of life in a jar
Playing with children, acting as stars
Guiding your vision to heaven and heaven is in your mind
Take extra care not to lose what you feel
The apple you're eating is simple and real
Water the flowers that grow at your heel
guiding your vision to heaven and heaven is in your mind

Heaven Is In Your Mind
By Traffic
BestAudioCodes.com
(apparently, the audio clips are still not working on my blog - sorry, thought I had that problem resolved - I'll keep working on it and try to get this up soon)

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww you are a fun mommy!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Thanks for sharing B with us....

Liz Hill said...

Awww so sweet Coco--Brennan is a lucky kiddo.

Lee Ann aka Dixie said...

Sometimes we MUST stop and do those little extra with our kids. Brennan is a very special child with a very special mother.

Twyla said...

Sounds like you have a great relationship with your son. I need to take your lead and find more time to do the fun things with my girls...they'll be grown before I know it.

Unknown said...

Such a warm-hearted and beautiful TT-list!
Thanks for sharing...

I blinded you with Science! said...

That's really incredible, he will for sure look back at these times and remember how caring, loving and sharing his mother was.

Hugs!

TopChamp said...

Hello - Lovely sentiments - I like that you have him helping with the grocery shopping already.

Anndi said...

The joys of the one to one relationship...

It's a wonderful thing.. think we ought to let our friends without kids in on the secret... we probably enjoy it more than they do!

So happy you can go back to that routine Coco.. so happy..now teach that boy to care for the hot pink Taylor! mwahahahahaha!

Meribah said...

Yup, these are the moments you'll look back on fondly when he's all grown up with a family of his own, so it's good to make the most of them! Hugs!

Amanda said...

Very nice Coco. Not only are you spending quality time with Brennan (something parents lack today) but u are also teaching him to help others. You Rock!

Julie said...

I think you're in the process of creating a wonderful, well-rounded, young man Coco!!!

Unknown said...

Wow - y'all do a lot together! I think Bethany and I pretty much either go to the movies or...well, that's about it...

Travis Cody said...

I had the same problem when I tried to post an audio code last night.

You and Brennan are quite a pair.

Slideshow